Follow Studio 41Follow us on Facebook
6 April, 2011
We hope to be able to change your view on health and nutrition by keeping you up to date with new thoughts that are out there, and continually try to challenge the media on their misguided attempts to make people healthy. This week we are doing an in house presentation on cholesterol so I thought I would share some of these things we are talking about.
Here are some interesting facts that have come from Sherry Rogers book – The Cholesterol Hoax
- You need cholesterol to make sex hormones like testoeterone, estrogen and progesterone
- Higher cancer rate among people taking chlesterol-lowering drugs
- Cholesterol is essential for all membrane structure and function, hormones receptors, cytokine release for fighting infection, cancers and autoummune disease.
- Cholesterol helps to put out inflammation, There fore it is not the cholesterol that is the problem. Heart disease starts when your arteries become damaged or inflamed. Thus LDL cholesterol shows up to repair these inflamed segments (which is what it is supposed to do) and can sometimes get stuck, thus becoming rancid over time causing the build up of plaque.
- It is inflammation that is doing the damage, eat foods that have a low inflammatory response, i.e no gluten, no pasta and especially white sugar (this includes all refined carbohydrates)!!!!
- There has also believe it or not, never been prove making a correlation between high cholesterol and heart disease in any study. In fact the opposite is true
“To date there have only been two relevant double-blind studies and neither showed a connection between saturated fats and heart disease”.
Big Fat Lies, Sutter, 2010.
So basically take refined sugar and refined carbohydrates out of your diet, dont be scared of eggs and red meat. They have been around for 1000s of years and it is not these things that have give rise to the huge incidence of heart disease.
Take a look at Tom Naughton during this presentation. He tackles the very complex subject very well.